Saturday 31 October 2015

10 Things to do in College life

We all have those few things in mind, that always want to do when we join college don't we? I had mine too, and I did manage to live some of those and a few more. This is an article that I wrote a few months back that got a pretty awesome response. Please read. :)

As I write this post, less than 30 days remain for my college life to get over.  I’m an undergraduate student at one of the best, and one of the most unknown engineering colleges of India called "Netaji Subhas Institute Of Technology". But this college has rightly given me the most four beautiful years of my life. Trying to list down a few things that made these four years so beautiful. Hope they help!
 
1) Date: I thought of starting with the most interesting one first! I’d recommend everyone to date atleast once in their college lives. It could be a serious relationship, a fling or just a cup of coffee with a guy/girl. Oh and stop cribbing about the fact that you’re not good enough! You don’t need a six pack, or a hot figure to be attractive. All that you need to do is strike a good conversation. And that ain’t rocket science! Trust me you’re always going to remember your first date, relationship or heartbreak. It shall teach you lessons that you shall always remember. And the feeling of being liked by someone from the opposite sex isn’t such a bad feeling! So stop stalking her on facebook. GO, ask her out!
 
2) Fail: This is something that not a lot of people I see are willing to do. If you genuinely want to achieve something big in life, you should be willing to take risks, and more importantly, willing to fail. Your failures, wrong decisions are going to teach you lessons that no right decision ever could.
 
I was always fascinated by the idea of taking the stage in school, and I couldn't even string a few words of English on stage back then. I tried taking the stage a number of times in my first year. And honestly, my first few experiencessucked. I was literally booed at on almost all the occasions, but I stood my ground. I slowly kept getting better with time, and the same audience cheered for me after a few months! As a result, I’ve anchored a lot of events in and outside college, been a part of, and won a number of debates, acted in several plays, given a number of presentations and represented my college at Harvard! And the funny part? I still mumble, chew up words and forget my lines quite often. There still are events where my experience on stage isn't as good. But I make sure I learn from my mistakes, regularly. 
But yes, just don’t fail in your academics. Those backlogs are really hard to cover up, trust me.


With Veet in the backdrop, I know it looks like a pretty hilarious picture. But the picture above shows one of the first events, that I managed to anchor successfully.


A picture from the Harvard National Model UN, a debating event organised by Harvard University at Boston, where I had the opportunity of representing my college.



One of my first presentations. :D 

3) Study: Yeah, this sounds like a depressing one. But not many people will tell you this. Please make sure you don’t stop studying. If you’ve made it to a good college, just don’t rest and assume that your college is going to land you in a good job. If you haven’t, don’t lose heart. A lot of people I know, who are not from the “elite colleges”, and have made it big. Just be regular with your classes, and study well in the last few days, and you’ll be fine. Even if your passion doesn't lie in your field of study, a good percentage doesn’t hurt, does it?
 
4) Travel: Make sure you travel a lot in your college years. It could be with your friends, family, a bunch of strangers or a solo trip. It is not just going to give you great experiences to cherish, but will also tell you a lot about the people around you. One of the most amazing things that one of my friends said a few days back:
The real character of a person shows when you live, work or travel with the person”
 
Travel, clearly is the most amazing and fun means to know someone. The good and the bad sides of a person are so much more prominent when you travel with him. I've got a lot closer with the people I’ve traveled with, and I think I understand myself a lot better post every trip that I go to.
 
 
5) Pull an all-nighter: Yes, this is a must do for all college students reading this! It could be a night stay, a night out, a drunk night, or just a night where you had to stay up to pull off a college fest. You’ll remember these nights the most, when you look back at your college days.
This is me at 4AM in the night on the top of the entrance gate of my college, trying to put up a flex. :P


 
6) Try and find your passion: A lot of students, atleast in India land up in courses where they did not want to be in the first place(Most of them ending up being engineers, doctors or lawyers, that is). This happens mostly because of parental pressure, or log kya kahenge(What will people think of us?). It’s okay if you’ve landed yourself in the wrong course, this is the time for you to give your passion a serious shot. It could be dance, music, theaters, sports, photography or just starting up your own company. Yes, you may fail and fall in the process, but that is only going to make you stronger. Who knows, you might just make a great career out of it! If you fail, you always have your college degree to fall back upon, and you have great story to tell your friends! :P
 
7) Talk to as many people as you can: In the four years of your college life, you’ll pass by a total of 7 batches. Make sure you talk to as many people, in and outside your college.
In the process, you’ll come across two types of people, as Vir Das rightly puts it:
 
“Type 1 will make you feel better than who you are. Type 2 will make you feel worse. 

If you meet type 1 first, make it last, do whatever it takes. 

If you meet type 2, you will know. You always know. Have some fun and wait for type 1. They are probably right around the corner.”
 
Follow this, religiously!
 
8) Read: This is one of the most important habits that you can possibly develop in your college years. Read fiction, news, entertainment, technology or anything that interests you! But make sure you read regularly. Regular reading is one habit that is not just going to add on to your knowledge and creativity, but shall also give you a perspective to life, that not many people will be able to give to you.
 
9) Learn the art of not giving a f*ck: This is something that I feel is of UTMOST importance. You've spent your entire school life thinking of what your parents, friends think of you. STOP giving a f*ck about what people think about you now. Everything that you do, will be judged upon by people. Trust me, everything! You study too much? They’ll label you a nerd. You talk too much? They’ll call you obnoxious. So just learn the art of being comfortable in your skin, and accept yourself for who you are. You’ll not just make a great career, but will also make unadulterated friendships. Friendships, where people love you for who you really are.
 
10) Have a few really close friends, or at least one: Yes, you’re going to meet a lot of people in your college life. But make sure you have those bunch of close friends by your side. Friends with whom you can be yourself, share your happy and sad times with, who you know will call you to ask where you are if you’re not around, and who you would want to stay in touch with for the rest of your lives. You don’t have to force friendships like these on people, they just happen with time. When it feels right with those few people, don’t let them go!




This, well is my bunch of close friends.
 
Live, love, laugh, fall, cry. Feel every emotion in these four years. Make sure these four years of your life make a beautiful story worth looking back to. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment